& PORTER LLP
a boutique business law firm
FIRM PRACTICE AREAS
- Corrected organizational problems for a world-wide environmental consulting company (2012).
- Reorganized company with substantial oil and other mineral reserves (2012).
- Organized mobile food truck business (2011).
- Handled $2,000,000 convertible note offering for an investment advisory firm (2010).
- Handled $10,000,000 preferred stock offering for bioscience company (2010).
- Reorganized “green” company which provides energy saving information to residential and commercial building owners (2009).
- Represented shareholders in refinancing of a luxury hotel in Arizona (2008).
- Represented university specializing in security services in second and third rounds of financing (2007), fourth round of financing (2009).
- Represented investor relations firm in its sale to national public relations firm (2007).
- Represented second largest shareholder in connection with sale of entertainment complex in Windsor, Canada (2007).
- Represented buyer in a $14,000,000 purchase of an Ohio based manufacturing company’s largest division (2006).
- Represented California company in $3,500,000 mezzanine stage financing (2006).
- Represented buyer of a regional artisan bakery (2006).
- Reorganized a California food distribution business into three separate limited liability companies (2005).
- Represented buyer in a $3,000,000 purchase of a California manufacturer of fireplace accessories (2005).
- Completed wind down of family holding company (2005).
- Prepared proxy statements for the sale of 5 publicly-held equipment leasing companies (2005).
- Administered termination of trust with $5,000,000 in assets and established special needs trust (2012).
- Completed Asset Freeze of $10,000,000 through use of Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts for a couple (2009).
- Created Tenancy-in-Common arrangement for $8,000,000 in real estate between parent and child reducing value of gift to child by nearly 40% (2008).
REAL ESTATE TRANSACTIONS
- Represented owner in a $48,000,000 refinancing of a South Bay regional shopping center (2010).
- Represented buyer in acquiring a $7,000,000 commercial real estate project in Los Angeles (2010).
- Represented seller in a $7,000,000 sale of a commercial office building in San Francisco (2010).
- Represented buyer in a $8,500,000 real estate purchase in Southern California (2009)
- Represented buyer in a $28,000,000 purchase of a San Francisco office building (2006-2007).
- Represented seller in an $8,000,000 sale of a San Francisco office building (2006).
- Represented owner of a South Bay regional shopping mall in refinancing a $20,000,000 loan (2006).
- Represented buyer in a $38,000,000 purchase of an East Bay regional shopping mall (375,000 square feet) (2006).
- Represented buyer in a $6,000,000 purchase of a mixed use San Francisco commercial building (2006).
- Represented buyer in $48,000,000 purchase of a mid-Peninsula regional shopping mall (2005).
- Represented owner of a Pleasanton strip mall in a refinancing of a $5,800,000 loan (2005).
- Obtained change of venue in defense of multi-million dollar unfair competition case (2011).
- Arbitrated $1,000,000 family dispute regarding shopping center (2011).
- Arbitrated $5,000,000 commercial real estate sale dispute (2011).
- Obtained settlement of alter ego claim following bankruptcy of judgment debtor (2011)
- Securities Fraud - Negotiated favorable settlement on behalf of investors in dispute involving offering memorandum (2010).
- Appellate - Won
appeal in published opinion affirming trial court damage award and
awarding attorneys' fees, in Applera v. MP Biomedicals, LLC (2009),
173 Cal.App.4th 769.
- Employment - Negotiated favorable settlement of claim that client wrongfully terminated an employee (2009).
- Trade Secrets - Obtained damage award and permanent injunction after court trial in case where former employee of our client misappropriated trade secrets (2008).
- Will Contest – Negotiated favorable settlement at JAMS mediation in defense of will contest filed against our client (2008).
- Patent Royalties - Obtained 7 figure damage award after court trial in patent license dispute where our client had not been paid the royalties due (2007).
- Construction Dispute - Obtained damage award in arbitration hearing involving construction project on behalf of our client against an architect (2007).
- Appellate - Successfully defended appeal of a preliminary injunction (2007). For the unpublished opinion, see 2007 WL 2823280 (Cal.App. 1 Dist.).
- Employment – Negotiated a favorable settlement of a claim that our client wrongfully terminated an employee (2007).
- Construction Dispute - Successfully defended a state educational institution against a claim for damages by a contractor (2007).
- Intellectual Property – Negotiated favorable settlement in defense of claim that our client had misappropriated an advertising concept (2007).
- Commercial Dispute - Obtained complete dismissal of creditor claims against our clients who were principals of a failed restaurant (2007).
- Commercial Dispute - Obtained attachment and then negotiated favorable settlement for our client who had sold its accounting firm but had not received all of the purchase price (2006).
Sonoma County Office:
3520 Bloomfield Road
Sebastopol, CA 95472